Ancient History and Literature High School Package
Ancient History and Literature is a one-year curriculum for high school that integrates history, English, and Bible (3 full-year credits).
Throughout the year, our pre-planned lessons guide the student through the entire Old Testament, while applying its truths to their lives with insightful questions and discussions.
Students develop composition skills and analyze literary classics from a Christian perspective with invigorating vocabulary, grammar, and critical thinking questions.
My Father's World believes Ancient History and Literature is critical to a biblical scope and sequence, integrating Old Testament readings with the study of ancient cultures and literature.
Recommended for 9TH GRADE
Ancient History and Literature
- Ancient History and Literature lesson plans are written to the student for parent-guided independent work.
- On Fridays, the student and parent have a conference to discuss the week's topics and review completed work. There are 36 weeks of lessons, five days a week, with a somewhat lighter schedule on most Fridays.
- Parents assign grades based on informal discussions and daily written questions, vocabulary quizzes in the literature program, and essays for English and history. There are no formal tests for history, Bible, or literature.
- You will need to add science, math, and electives.
My Father’s World has teamed with Unbound to ease the transition to high school for both students and parents with DECLARE Coaching, an online Ancient History and Literature Synergy Mentorship program. LEARN MORE
Educational Development with My Father's World
- Argumentative Essays
- Literature Analysis
- 3 Full-Year Credits
- Detailed Timeline
- Verse-by-Verse Reading of the Old Testament
- Read through the entire Old Testament, applying its truths to your life with insightful questions from Taking the Old Testament Challenge. (Parents, especially fathers, are also encouraged to complete this study to help in guiding a weekly discussion with their child, as well as for developing personal spiritual growth.)
- The Baker Illustrated Guide to the Bible adds in-depth information. Unwrapping the Pharaohs and The New Answers Book include archaeological discoveries and apologetics related to the Bible and history being studied.
- Participate in service projects chosen and/or developed by the student and the parent-teacher.
- Study history from Creation through the time of the Greeks.
- Assignments includes reading with comprehension questions, map work, and in-depth information about Creation and early man. Students also create a detailed timeline book.
- The Old Testament readings are a central focus of the history lessons and are integrated chronologically with the other history studies.
- Develop composition skills with comprehensive lessons for writing essays.
- Enjoy and analyze (from a Christian perspective) literature written during or about the ancient period:
- The Bible
- The Epic of Gilgamesh (condensed version)
- The Cat of Bubastes
- Bulfinch's Greek and Roman Mythology
- The Iliad
- The Odyssey
- Vocabulary, grammar and comprehension and critical thinking questions included.
- We recommend Earth Science through Advanced Biology for a science credit.
- We recommend Saxon Math with one year of Jacobs Geometry for a math credit.
- For 0.5 elective credits, we recommend Introduction to Logic during 9th grade.
- Consider at least two consecutive years of a foreign language during high school.
Add-Ons to Complete Your Curriculum
Package Includes All of the Following
This is the first year that I truly enjoyed doing my school. I feel like not only am I learning, but I also am growing closer to the Lord. Everyday I gained something that I could use in my daily life! Thank you guys so much for taking the time to perfect & create this curriculum.Taylor, age 15
We are using the high school ancients and love it! The writing portion of My Father's World high school is amazing.Carylee
We have been using the High School Ancient History and Literature for our 9th grader this year and WE LOVE IT!!!!! Thank you so much for putting this together.Crystal
My daughter is finishing her second month with the 9th grade curriculum and LOVES it! We are absolutely thrilled with it and when an My Father's World mom who's son is in the 8th grade recently asked me how we liked the high school curriculum, I was able to give her a glowing report.Rebecca
My Father's World skims the best of homeschooling methods, the best of reading materials, and the best of study/real world balance. My Father's World combines these three effective paths with God's character focus to create a dynamic opportunity for family growth. Our family was homeschooled together in an eclectic, meaningful, and excellent way. All three of our children used My Father's World from grades 1-12.
Each of our three children, all having very different personalities and learning styles, thrived because the curriculum provided the framework to build a personal, relational education. Our weekly library trips were extremely fruitful as we were directed to timeless, excellent books listed in the "book basket." The children grew to love learning, which was my number one goal. My second goal was to give them the tools and drive to love learning independently.Anndrea M.
As a new homeschool teacher 11 years ago My Father's World was very appealing to me because it contained everything I needed to teach my child without being worried I was forgetting something. It's a very comprehensive curriculum.
One of the biggest things I appreciate about My Father's World is that every book and every subject is chosen very carefully to present the student with a Biblical worldview. It's precious to be able to have discussions throughout the day about God's creation, who God is according to His word and be able to see that the Lord is over all which ties back to every subject we study. God's World is not compartmentalized.Julie V.
It's been 13 years since our homeschooling journey began with our first daughter. My Father's World curriculum & staff have assisted & supported our educational goals ever since the beginning. Our daughter graduates this year. We are thankful for the strong academic, moral & faith-based curriculum she has had access to over the years with My Father's World. We plan to continue using the curriculum as we home educate our other 8 children.Linda N.
We have greatly enjoyed using the My Father’s World materials over the last 12 years. As a former college educator, I appreciated the well-written, well-planned rhythm of the curriculum. My kids have been successfully developing increased independence through each phase of their studies, and as my son heads into college classrooms this fall, I have great confidence in his preparedness for the college experience. Thank you for supplying our family with the materials we’ve needed to give our kids a Biblically-centered, academically-strong education.Laura W.
Ancient History and Literature is one of Cathy Duffy's 103 Top Picks! See her review.