"The read-alouds bring the history lessons to life. The best part is the life experiences of real people."J.W.
Exploration to 1850 Package
Explore the New World with Leif Ericsson, Christopher Columbus, and others. Discover the amazing story of the U.S. from colonial times to the California gold rush. Learn about the courage and faith of many who came to America. Help children understand man's struggles in world exploration as your family memorizes the book of James.
Exploration to 1850 Package
Explore the New World with Leif Ericsson, Christopher Columbus, and others. Discover the amazing story of the U.S. from colonial times to the California gold rush in this year-long curriculum for 4th-8th grade.
Learn about the courage and faith of many who came to America. Help children understand man's struggles in world exploration as your family memorizes the book of James.
WARNING: CHOKING HAZARD--Small parts. Not for children under 3 years.
4TH - 8TH GRADE
Exploration to 1850
- Exploration to 1850 follows Rome to the Reformation in our chronological history-based study for students in 2nd - 8th grade.
- Explore the New World with Leif Ericsson, Christopher Columbus, and others; discover the amazing story of the U.S. from colonial times to the California gold rush; and learn about the courage and faith of many who came to America.
- Investigate world history and cultures, and see how U.S. and world history are interrelated.
- Easy-to-teach lesson plans guide you through each day.
We recommend starting with Exploring Countries and Cultures
- If your family has never used Exploring Countries and Cultures, we highly recommend it before continuing your chronological study of history.
- This foundational study of countries, cultures, geographic terms, and God's heart for all people makes all future study of history more understandable and retainable.
Do you also have a 2nd or 3rd grader?
- If yes, purchasing the 2nd - 3rd Grade Supplement for Exploration to 1850 is required.
- This Supplement makes history come alive with "living" books specifically selected for 2nd and 3rd graders.
Educational Development with My Father's World
- Explore the New World
- U.S. and World History
- Botany and Animal World
- Map Work
- U.S. Presidents
- Christian Faith and Godly Character
- Daily lesson plans are in an easy-to-use weekly chart format for each subject with page numbers of books to read and instructions.
- Many activities will be suitable for all ages; additional activities are suggested for older students.
- Many simple hands-on activities are included in the Teacher's Manual to reinforce the study of geography.
- Teacher's Manual includes details on using our Math and Language Arts recommendations, which are purchased separately.
- Study the book of James using a children's inductive Bible study called Boy, Have I Got Problems! and memorize verses from James.
- Be inspired by the stories of Christians from the past when you read Trial and Triumph and In God We Trust, which focuses on the godly faith and character of early Americans.
- Study world and U.S. history from the early European explorers of North America through 1850 with a number of helpful books, all fully scheduled in the Teacher's Manual.
- Learn about U.S. presidents and U.S. geography with a brief trip through all 50 states (a two-year study that will be completed in next year's program).
- Integrate history with art, composition, and handwriting as you make a history notebook.
- Enjoy simple hands-on projects, map work, and timeline.
- Study your own state (the final 4-6 weeks of the year) as you learn how to write a research paper.
- Enrich your study with our library list of optional, yet recommended books.
- Add history content for 2nd and 3rd graders with the 2nd–3rd Grade Supplement for Exploration to 1850 (required for 2nd–3rd graders).
- Explore the world of plants and animals from a Christian perspective. Includes an introduction to taxonomy (the scientific classification of living things).
- Focus on nature journaling in your local area as you study state history at the end of the school year.
- 7th and 8th graders use a science course instead of the above (purchase separately).
- Enjoy hands-on art projects related to history.
- Sing the great hymns of our faith and learn their stories, coordinated with this year's history study, using Then Sings My Soul.
- Art lessons from a godly perspective, using God and the History of Art (purchase separately).
- Music appreciation lessons review music history and focus on Schubert, Mendelssohn, and Chopin with easy-to-use CDs.
- Selected books are integrated with the study of history to inspire and develop Christian character.
- Take a free math assessement and add the suggested math courses.
- Add the suggested language arts courses.
- Foreign language is optional but highly recommended.
- A Synergy Group is two or more families who meet weekly to participate in science, history/geography, art, and music activities from your MFW Teacher's Manual.
- The group leader uses a Free Synergy Guide which schedules easy-to-teach group activities with minimal preparation.
- LEARN MORE
- The Family Learning Cycle solves many time management problems.
- This curriculum package can be taught to children at several different grade levels, all at the same time.
- The concept may take some getting used to, but it has several important benefits for your family.
- LEARN MORE
Add-Ons to Complete Your Curriculum
Package Includes All of the Following
The first time I read through the lessons I started getting teary-eyed . . . it is such a gift that someone out there had the time and passion to create something so valuable for the rest of us! There are so many values and experiences you want to give to your children, but the pace of life doesn't usually give you the time to think it through and plan and research out all the details. This package puts it all at your fingertips! Fun, exploration, good balance of learning and play, values taught in a relaxed way, and more. Wow. Thank you! It's great!Elizabeth M.
You have done an amazing job putting together the sweetest things for our little kids. Thank you!Rebecca H.
I like the simplicity of the activities. I like that the projects are easy and I do not need to buy lots of supplies. I LOVE the books.
I like that this teaches character and it is not overwhelming. I had [a different] curriculum I was going to use, but I am glad to be using this instead. This is much easier and less work, but allows my son to feel like he is doing school. This really does not take too much time. The crafts are easy and the books are all excellent choices.Magda L.
This curriculum seems to go along well with "habit training" - getting my son used to the idea that he has to follow directions and that I have certain activities preplanned for him. I think this is preparing him well for school in the coming years.
I love the great books included in the curriculum. Such a nice selection of books! It's also a great pace and a lovely amount of time-not too much, no stress, not killing his love of what he's learning. I applaud you for that! Thank you so much!Katie B.
I like being able to open lesson plans and follow a well thought out program. It is easy for me to adjust a program, but it is much harder for me to invent one. My college training in Science and Engineering did not really prepare me to teach preschool. Thank you for all your hard work because I have more time to spend teaching and engaging my children with less stress and frustration for all of us.Maegan F.
One thing MFW has done for me is really hold my hand and help me do those things that I desire to do with my kids, but never really have the time to plan and prepare.
Thank you for offering this program. It is giving me the tools and resources to be intentional with developing our relationship and also working godly character traits into her life.Tina P.
We are just loving your program. :)
My daughter loves all the books and wants to read them over and over throughout the day. :) we give them a huge thumbs up. :)
This program has helped me carve out little bits of time just for my daughter and she really looks forward to this new routine. :) She eagerly runs for her cards and activities. :) It is a huge blessing. :)
Thank you. :)Leah M.
I just love that the approach with this program is gentle, and yet has really impacted and helped my son's learning in a way that he loves. It takes all the ideas of what a child loves to do, and incorporates it into fun learning units. I have seen this with colors, numbers, Bible stories, and pre-writing skills. I am glad you can create something that is filled with learning skills, and keep it interesting and fun for the child.Heather J.