- Teacher's Manual
- Student Sheets (purchase one per additional student)
- Boy, Have I Got Problems! (purchase one per additional student)
- U.S. Presidents Flashcards (purchase one per additional student)
- Map of the U.S./World - placemat size (purchase one per additional student)
- Exploring American History, 2nd Edition
- In God We Trust
- Building a City On a Hill
- George Washington's World
- The Last 500 Years
- The Story of the World, Volume 3
- Writing a State Report
- U.S.A Wall Map
- The World of Animals (Answers in Genesis)
- The World of Animals (MFW)
- Exploring Creation with Botany
- And free gifts:
- Then Sings My Soul
- Best of Schubert, Mendelssohn, and Chopin — six-CD set
- The Story of Schubert with Music
- The Best of Schubert
- The Story of Mendelssohn with Music
- The Best of Mendelssohn
- The Story of Chopin with Music
- The Best of Chopin
- Read-Alouds — six-book set
- Almost Home
- Amos Fortune, Free Man
- Madeleine Takes Command
- William Carey
- Mary Jones and Her Bible
- Bound for Oregon
- Soda Bottle Bird Feeder
- Explore the New World
- U.S. and World History
- Botany and Animal World
- Map Work
- U.S. Presidents
- State History
- Godly Faith and Character
Exploration to 1850 follows Rome to the Reformation in our chronological history-based study for students in 2nd - 8th grade. Explore the New World with Leif Ericsson, Christopher Columbus, and others; discover the amazing story of the U.S. from colonial times to the California gold rush; and learn about the courage and faith of many who came to America. Investigate world history and cultures, and see how U.S. and world history are interrelated. We hope and pray that you will understand history in a new way and that God's kingdom will be affected by what you learn this year.
If your family has never used Exploring Countries and Cultures, we highly recommend it before continuing your chronological study of history. This foundational study of countries, cultures, geographic terms, and God's heart for all people makes all future study of history more understandable and retainable. (2nd graders entering the family cycle will join older siblings in the program they are studying.)
Exploration to 1850 is a complete curriculum for Bible, history, and science.
The Deluxe Package includes music and read-alouds. Your 2nd and 3rd graders will also need the 2nd–3rd Grade Supplement for Exploration to 1850.
- Daily lesson plans are in an easy-to-use weekly chart format that lists each subject with the appropriate book titles and page numbers to complete each day and information on when and how to use Student Sheets. Most activities are suitable for all ages; some additional reading is scheduled for older students. Simple hands-on activities are included in the Teacher's Manual to reinforce the study of history. We do the lesson planning for you so that you have more time to enjoy teaching!
- Study the book of James using a children's inductive Bible study called Boy, Have I Got Problems! and memorize verses from James.
- Be inspired by the stories of Christians from the past when you read Trial and Triumph (from Rome to the Reformation) and In God We Trust, which focuses on the godly faith and character of early Americans.
- Study world and U.S. history from the early European explorers of North America through 1850 with a number of helpful books, all fully scheduled in the Teacher's Manual.
- Learn about U.S. presidents and U.S. geography with a brief trip through all 50 states (a two-year study that will be completed in next year's program).
- Integrate history with art, composition, and handwriting as you make a history notebook.
- Enjoy simple hands-on projects, map work, and timeline.
- Study your own state (the final 4-6 weeks of the year) as you learn how to write a research paper.
- Enrich your study with our library list of optional, yet recommended books.
- Add history content for 2nd and 3rd graders with the 2nd–3rd Grade Supplement for Exploration to 1850 (required for 2nd–3rd graders).
- Explore the world of plants and animals from a Christian perspective. Includes an introduction to taxonomy (the scientific classification of living things).
- Focus on nature journaling in your local area as you study state history at the end of the school year.
- 7th and 8th graders use Apologia science instead of the above (purchase separately).
- Selected books are integrated with the study of history to inspire and develop godly character (in the Deluxe Package).
Art and Music
- Enjoy hands-on art projects related to history.
- Sing the great hymns of our faith and learn their stories, coordinated with this year's history study, using Then Sings My Soul (in the Deluxe Package).
- Art lessons from a godly perspective, using God and the History of Art (purchase separately).
- Music appreciation lessons review music history and focus on Schubert, Mendelssohn, and Chopin with easy-to-use CDs (in the Deluxe Package).
Math, Language Arts, and Foreign Language
2nd and 3rd graders will also need the 2nd–3rd Grade Supplement. They are great books, and you won't want to miss any of them.
A Synergy Group™ is two or more families who meet weekly to participate in science, history/geography, art, and music activities from your MFW Teacher's Manual. The group leader uses a Synergy Guide which schedules easy-to-teach group activities with minimal preparation.Learn More about MFW Synergy Groups™